Friday, September 3, 2010

Day 246

Sun and Life

Sometimes growing things strike me as being so utterly beautiful.

The winter-squash plant (top left), so delicate, so perfectly formed to do what it must, with little delicate yet super-strong tendrils to furl on to something for balance, sometimes even itself.

And the little blue-eyed dragonfly, such a gauzy gossamer floaty celestial being. (I know it's not a growing thing but it just fits in with the general beauty theme.) 

The little candelabra Celandine, with dying flowers and yet-to-be flowers all on the same graceful dancing stem.  They are the most prolific flowers and the bees love them.  All through the summer there are always Celandine going to seed with their long pods, fully flowering Celandine, and other small green Celandine plants just beginning again.

And the last photograph, the sweet potato I found in my cupboard trying so hard to grow, that I decided it must, so it is happily living in a bowl of water, putting forth perfect stems, leaves and light on the little table next to the back door.  It enchants us every time we look at it.

My first day of teaching today, so exhausting, so exhilarating, such interesting teenagers.  It was so super-hot, again, days and days of heat we have had now, and then at the beginning of my last class, with the upper school kids, it began to rain, lovely green-smelling rain, and I invited them all to follow me downstairs like the Pied Piper, to run on the grass in the rain, to feel the wet clover underfoot, to be cool, oh at last!  Only the younger girls came with me, the others were too shy, I think, and they were so funny, they were like little kids, doing strange little dances and pretending to be trees and flowers, like they had been taught when they were much younger.  We all laughed outrageously, felt better and went back inside to work.

It's still raining, thanks to Hurricane Earl!

Continuing the theme of the positive Life-force, the image for tonight.  This dancer turned out looking just like one of my students, one for whom I have a very soft spot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment