Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day 266

Diaphanous milkweed seeds tumbling out of their pod.

Periodically in our family, we write messages for one another on the large mirror in the bathroom, using soap as the writing tool. 

The other day I wrote HANG UP YOUR TOWELS!  Because, even though, over the years, I have managed to teach my sons several good life lessons, hanging up the towel after a shower is not one of them.

The next evening, lying in the bath, I noticed that the message now read HANG UP YOUR BOWELS!, courtesy of Matthew (probably).

I erased the B and replaced it with a big fat T, and went off to bed laughing.

The next development was that the big T was erased, and a phrase added below, so that it now read: HANG UP YOUR OWELS  They're living beings

My response: HANG UP YOUR VOWELS!   There is only one in OWLS!

This morning "VOWELS! There is only one in" had been erased, so that it now stated: HANG UP YOUR                  OWLS!

So I drew an image of an owl, with a little speech bubble enclosing, once more, HANG UP YOUR TOWELS!  And below, leading up to the word OWLS, "Listen to the".

And I hid the soap.

Tonight there is my drawing of an owl, next to it, a blank space, and below it, just: Listen to the OWLS.

I ran 2.09 miles (3.36km) in 29 minutes.  Which is 8.37 minutes per km, probably similar to some people's walking speed!  Anyway, I try to make sure, as I run over the increasingly leaf-strewn forest floor, that I bounce along, that I'm not just trudging, but that my heels go up in the air each time, and when I feel my braid swishing each elbow, I know I am running correctly. 

Today I wondered how I ever ran 5km though!  3.5km is hard enough!  But Molly and I trundle through the tall-grassed meadow, still rife with white butterflies, and yesterday I saw a monarch, which I imagined might have been the metamorphosis of my little coughing caterpillar. My last hummingbird was on Sunday, she looked quite confused, rifling through the Rose of Sharon flowers and then coming up to the window feeder which contains only sunflower seeds for all the small titmouses, chickadees, nuthatches, and today, a downy woodpecker!

Tonight, a collage I made as a card for my friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment