Friday, February 21, 2014

fifty-two

We went to the London Zoo today, in Camden.  I hate zoos generally, suffer so for the large animals in particular.  But it was Luna's treat for her birthday and a lovely outing for Emma and I too, and I knew there were no elephants, so I was happy about that.  A zoo is the perfect combination of natural and man-made.  Animals living in pens.

Zoos have many good qualities. They educate people about the need for conservation, even helping in terms of keeping gene pools broad.  In the near future they might be the only place where we will find various creatures which have become extinct in the wild, like polar bears, for example.

They don't have polar bears at the London Zoo but they do have two Sumatran tigers, who were both born in captivity and are part of a world-wide breeding programme to ensure a healthy and diverse population in zoos around the world, and to help with research in the field to save this critically endangered species. 

Luna and Em watching the little Red Titi monkey below

Red Titi monkey watching Luna and Emma.
Luna loved the meerkats.

Giraffes are the strangest-looking creatures.

Beautiful bird

Pelican meeting.



My little sweetpea.
 We had a lovely day, and my favourite creatures were the otters, but unfortunately all those photographs had to be deleted because I had taken them on the same settings I had for the indoor ones!  So I have photographs in my head, as my grandmother taught me to do.

And the pictures must speak as I am too tired for more words tonight after our long trek through London today, carrying prams and babies and going underground and overland and through sunshine and rain and bitter cold, but with warm hearts and interesting conversations and arms linked, and lots of laughter.


No comments:

Post a Comment