Monday, May 17, 2010

Day 137

One of my 'girls'.

My nuc seems to have taken.  I watch them with delight every day.  Matthew thinks we should leave them to their own devices, not bother the new queen, just let them take their natural course.  Maybe we will check on them in a couple of weeks' time.  The workers are certainly toiling away, coming in to land with an exhausted bump down on the landing-board, their little baskets heavy-laden with pollen of many colours.

At the barbecue yesterday I played 'Stuck-in-the-mud' or 'Statues' with all the children.  I ran about, one of the wild things, feeling the excitement of nearly being caught, the dread of the catcher nearby, the laughing exhilaration of evading her, and the best feeling of all, helping a stuck person escape, by crawling under their wide open legs! 

Which must have been a sight, this ageing woman falling to her belly, then trying to crawl between the legs of a stick-legged 5 year old boy!  My companions were all such little sprites, flitting about on their slender spring-like legs, diving through one another's stuck-in-the-mud limbs, leaping over the flower-beds, weighing next to nothing, while I bumbled along, my body's memory intent on its childhood moves of long ago, but always a few laboured steps behind. 



No comments:

Post a Comment