Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day 152

Bumblebee ballet.

The Rhododendron is fading, but still attracting the occasional butterfly or bumblebee.  This little bumblebee seems to be practicing for her grand jeté.

It was very hot and humid today, and there were big noisy wet thunderstorms which worked hard to wash everything clean.  The cars, the deck, the outside chairs, the windows, the railings, and all the leaves of the forest, have been covered with yellow pollen-dust for days.

This evening everyone was out for a couple of hours, so I put on a curry to simmer and went for a run on my lovely newly mown track.  My recovering lungs protested at the beginning, but after a while they began to enjoy it more, and, together with my striving legs, my courageous heart, my swinging arms and breathing mouth, managed 1.44 miles (2.31km).  I have to build up my fitness again, amazing how it gets lost so quickly.  Halfway along I started singing my rhythm song, "Land of the Silverbirch" and I noticed that it dragged somewhat, due to my slow struggle of a stride. 

The meadow was washed clean too, everything green and dripping, tall grasses bent over with the weight of water, soil soft and giving.  And a still damp sky above me, so that soon I was soaked.  Lovely water, lovely to be wet when you are hot hot hot from running and from the 90% humidity and 85F (29.5C) temperature.

Today was a faculty in-service day at school, so lots of meetings.  I have had my fair share of meetings to last me the rest of my life, and am not very partial to them, so to survive them, I have a habit (like many people) of doodling my way through the time.  My fellow teachers liked this page so much that I thought I would use it for my posting!

No comments:

Post a Comment