Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 179

Claire.

There will probably be no running this week as I leave at 6.45am and get home at 8pm, happily exhausted.  I am doing a mixed media course, designed to combine painting and drawing and perhaps other media like collage. 

Today in true art school fashion, the model did not appear at the scheduled time and people kept arriving late, so that we finally got started at about 10am, with people from the class volunteer models.  This was a beautiful little asian student named Claire. 

At 11am, the original model arrived, as did the substitute who had been called by the lecturer.  So we had a male and female model all day.  It was lovely.  I did a pastel drawing of the woman which turned out quite well, I have hardly ever done pastels before. 

And I drew a naked male other than my husband.  I think it is the first time I have ever drawn a nude male stranger from life.  When I was at Art school the black women models had to take off everything but the men wore little undies, always.  It is an odd thing at first, to gaze at a man's penis and draw it, it is so out there.  The male genitals are such a secret hidden thing in western culture.  In movies, women were showing their all long long before the first penis ever made an appearance.

Our teacher/lecturer is wonderful, full of energy and enthusiasm and constantly coming around to offer advice and criticism, and praise.  

So here is my pastel drawing of the woman model. 


No comments:

Post a Comment