Wednesday, April 9, 2014

99

A very "feeling-sorry-for-myself" day.  Awful cold with painful sinuses, and the most FRUSTRATING time trying to upload all my IB Visual Arts students' work to its electronic destination!  I wanted my mother, because that's what you still feel like when you are so miserable, even though you are 58 years old.  But the only person who could help me was of course Tim, my knight in shimmering armour once again, who multi-tasked several people on a conference call, then went off to have a root-canal, and then got back to make me tea with lemon, and then back with the several people on the conference call again, now with a slurry voice which sounded as though he was drunk, not numb from his chin to his nose, poor man.  And in between all this, finding out for me, as I was tearing out my hair, after many bloody tries, how to make a set of images into a pdf which is under 20MB! And explaining it all very kindly and softly, even when I shouted at him, and the computer, and the cold virus.  And teaching me how to do it so that I could do it for the next lot, and when I couldn't do it because I had forgotten some of the very unfriendly steps, he just showed me again. 

I started to feel like Julie Andrews in that song, "But somewhere in my wicked, miserable youth, I must have done something gooooood...."

But now it is all done, everything is uploaded to wherever it is meant to be, thank the gods of computers and patient men.

One variant of the rhinovirus, which causes the common cold, looks like a flowery bomb.

Yes, this is how I felt today.

pretty cold viruses
What a horrible thing, to enter your body and cause such problems!   Apparently the cold is the most common illness in the world.  Adults will get about 2 to 3 a year, and children between 10 and 12 a year!

When Emma was little she mistook the word "germs', thinking it was "germans', and after I had taught her about the virus-fighting cells which our body sends out like soldiers to fight the enemy disease, I heard her explaining to Gavin how soon she would not have a runny nose anymore because her "soldiers were fighting the germans"!

Well I hope my soldiers are fighting that good fight, and I shall wake up a new person tomorrow morning, all well and no germans to be seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment