Thursday, April 17, 2014

Een honderd en sewe

It was a sun-hiding-behind-clouds day today, and still cold, like winter!

Although it is the first day of my holiday I still had to sort out some IB uploading, which has been driving me nuts for several days!  Only to find, to my eternal chagrin, that it was my own fault, it was I who had forgotten a step!  A kind young British woman walked me through the upload process on the phone and when I realized it was me all along I said, "Oh, I'm so glad you are not here, because I am so embarrassed I am blushing!  I apologize for taking your time on such a stupid thing!". She was so sweet and said in her lovely accent, "Ooh, it's alright, it happens to the best of us!"

Funny how most of us hate to be wrong.  We hate to look silly, to not know the answer, to fall off the horse, to trip up the stairs, to be unable to answer the question, to be on the wrong side of an argument.  It is our little sense of ourselves that takes a beating, those egos are often pretty fragile at the best of times.  After all, we are never quite tall enough, thin enough, big-penised enough, pretty enough, well turned-out enough, big-breasted enough, fast enough, good enough, loved enough.

It is important, in these types of situations, to have a sense of humour, to laugh at oneself, to apologize and to laugh!

When I fell pregnant with the boys I had no idea it was two, so, after reading some pregnancy handbook which urged this practice, I bought a present for the baby and began communing with it.  At 16 weeks I went for my very first gynaecologist's appointment to have an amniocentesis, seeing that I was over 35. I went home without having the amnio, because from the scan (also my first ever) the doctor had seen two little bouncing babies and therefore couldn't do the procedure.

Now there was a dilemma.  I had to buy a present for the other baby too, and start talking to it as well.  How would I know to whom I had been talking?  Had one of them felt left out?  Would it affect him/her forever?  And not only would I have to buy another present, but I would have to buy the same present, so that one twin would not be jealous of the other.  (It's very complicated, being pregnant with twins!  It frazzles the mind.)

So the first present I had bought was a beautiful little chinese glass mobile, which makes gentle clinking sounds like wine-glasses being brought together for a toast.  I went back and bought a second one, and while the boys lived at home they each had one always hanging at their doorways.  They are still here, came with us across continents and through years of moves.

They have not fared as well as one another.  I have no idea which is whose now, but one is definitely the worse for wear, having belted out wonderful chiming clinking songs for the better part of 21 years, hanging in the windy corridor of our lovely house.

This one has mostly broken pieces, one spot having been taken over by an arbitrary shell!

This one retains most of its full glass pieces, with an added bonus, the hand-made dream-catcher made and attached by Jess. 
And I leave you with this sight for sore eyes:  A sight to ponder:

No comments:

Post a Comment