Thursday, April 10, 2014

One hundred days!

No running or walking today, but a lot of sitting in the sun feeling pretty weak for some reason, like convalescing from a long illness, when it was just a cold!

There were so many spring visitors today, a pine siskin, a very pensive chipmunk (I have often watched them having philosophical thoughts while staring into space, remembering to wash their faces every now and then), my little red squirrel, and many other peeping, squawking, singing birds.

The best visitor was seen early this morning from the big bathroom window upstairs, a glossy-coated  red fox!  I think it was a male, as I could see no dugs, but he wandered around a little at the bird feeder hoping for scraps and then seemed to realise he was a bit close to the house and loped off in the direction of the pond until I lost him in the trees. 

And then later in the day I saw a turkey shape looming slowly through the forest, and Mr Tom arrive in his inimitable way, bringing his two ladies with him today.  I think he needed to find a good place to perform his beautiful dance.  As it turned out, the only female who was remotely interested was me!  I do so admire those feathers!


I got my hummingbird feeder all ready and dusted off, and I'll put it up in a few days' time.  The little ruby-throaters will be here any day, and hungry from that long long migration from Central America.  This is a ruby-throated hummingbird map that an enthusiast updates by hand whenever he hears word of another sighting.  What an amazing thing to do!


As you can see, they are nearly here, they just have to leap over that little hook on the right!

Some amazing Ruby-throated hummingbird facts:

Hummingbirds weigh about 3.1grams.
Their nests are about the size of a walnut.
They are very territorial about the feeders and will chase others away in a very fierce manner.  It is quite thrilling to watch.  And even more thrilling when they become accustomed to people and will whirr down past your ears sounding like a deep-voiced bee (if the buzzing of a bee was its voice). 
People wonder how to attract hummingbirds, but if you hang up a feeder, sooner or later a hummingbird will come to investigate.  It has been conjectured that, in a given year, every square meter of their territory in the US and southern Canada is checked by hummingbirds in their never-ending search for food.
They reach speeds of 100 km per hour in an escape dive.
Their wings beat about 52 times per second.
They fly non-stop over the Gulf of Mexico which is a flight of about 18 to 20 hours!
They enchant me every time I see them, the delicate little flying jewels.






No comments:

Post a Comment