Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 216

Deer and celandine.

On my first circuit, coming into the meadow I noticed a deer, head down, munching away on sweet green meadow-grass.  I ordered Molly to lie down and took out my camera, which unfortunately was only my point-and-shoot, which fits neatly in my pocket while running.  The little doe was so inquisitive, stepping forward hoofstep by hoofstep, wondering what I was.  Eventually Molly became too impatient to run, and barked at me, the dog version of a shout, "Hey, what on earth is going on here!  Throw the ball already!"  And off the doe leapt, with a snort or three, white-tail flashing.

I ran 3.7km, in hot humid muggy weather, thinking about Emma in the air somewhere between France and England, wishing her safe landings, missing her, the sunshine of her, the way she has of filling a room, the laughter we share when she's around.

Later we went to the beach, where the waves were still lovely, but apparently the water temperature was 54F!  It was truly freezing, the foot-numbing chill of water which comes from the north.  Jess and I were brave brave boogie-boarders, and stayed in until our feet "didn't really know what they were supposed to do anymore" as Jess so aptly put it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment