Sunday, August 29, 2010

Day 241

Northern Leopard Frog.

These little frogs leapt away from my feet near the marshes at the Ipswich Reserve.  I could see leaping creatures which I supposed were frogs, but for the life of me I couldn't see them once they had landed, until I looked very very carefully.  Such good camouflage!  Such beautiful little frogs!

This morning I was going to run 5 km, but after 2 and a half, I started feeling light-headed.  It was very hot and I found the whole run hard-going, there was no easy part today.  So I slowed down and once I had run into the cooler forest I started feeling a little better, so I sprinted the last 100 yards to the finish line, so to speak, stopped and had some water, and then felt slightly better, but for the life of me I could not force my legs to begin running again. 

I ran 3.13km, at just under 8 minutes per km.  The Fun Run is on Thursday and I still have no idea if I can do it!

It was my last day of the long summer vacation today, I can't believe that I am beginning my 9th year at the International School tomorrow.  I am quite excited because a data-projector has been installed in the Art room, which will be a big change in my teaching style.  And it will be lovely to see all my students again on Friday, see how the younger ones have grown over the summer, and to hear where they have all been, these lucky world-travelers. 

So my last afternoon was spent on my beloved beach, with the most perfect waves, which were huge and broke far out, so that I could ride them in, zig-zagging down the breakers, again and again, pushing back out to the deep water, then surfing from the thrilling high point, feeling the power of the surging water around me.  Then lying in the hot sun to get warm again, reading, until my bones were unchilled and I could go back out again for another hour or so.  Bliss.

When I came home, Tim asked me if maybe I am a Selkie.  The Selkie myth originates in the Irish and Scottish traditions, where a seal can become a human woman.  She marries the man who finds her, but only remains human as long as he had hidden her sealskin.  If she finds it (and often it is one of her children who inadvertently finds it) she immediately leaves her human family and goes back to the sea to her seal life. 

I showered after supper and the floor of the shower was littered with seaweed, shed from my hair, so he had better have hidden my seal-pelt very well. 

Another collage, of one of my favourite subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment