Friday, August 13, 2010

Day 225 (Friday the 13th)

Three siblings on a trampoline.

Today was almost perfect, (as perfect as it can be without my daughters) beautiful weather, wonderful company all day!  The beach was sunny and warm, the North Atlantic looked and felt like my friendly childhood Indian Ocean.  There were little waves for child boogie-boarders, lots of swimming and interesting conversations between the generations.

I taught a woman how to boogie-board, well no, I didn't actually, she is my first failure, she didn't even manage to catch one wave! 

She came up to me in the water, introduced herself and told me she had just bought her first boogie-board today and could I teach her, because she had been studying everyone and I looked as though I was a pro!  (I think she just thought I had a kind face)  So I used all the tried and trusted methods, but nothing seemed to work.  I even attempted to push her off on a wave but she was quite a hefty woman and that didn't go anywhere either!  She eventually went out after telling me that I was a very good teacher, she was just a useless student.  Poor woman. 

On the way home, my friend's daughter and I were discussing the best way to tell someone how to catch a wave, and it is really hard to explain.  She came to the conclusion that she and I were probably just born with that knowledge of the right time to leap on the board and sail down the wave!  While other people were born with a deficiency in that respect.

Finding ourselves without anyone to make dinner for, as the boys were out with friends, Tim and I walked out for a romantic evening and dined outside on the river at Tom O'Shea's.  Walking home afterwards we might have been arrested for being drunk and disorderly, because we were laughing so much playing the walking game that we almost fell over, and eventually we were both coughing and spluttering from a lack of oxygen, I suppose. 

A slice of lemon-moon hung in the blue-black sky as we made our way up our steep steep driveway and then into our lovely house, and it peeked in at us as we lay in the bath together in our usual way, and then to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment