Saturday, October 2, 2010

Day 275

Tim shining.

I woke up feeling very depressed about the state of the world and in particular America.  Time for a run!

3.78 km in 29 minutes (7.40 minutes per km, still under 8!).  Had one mishap where I spat and instead of it going neatly to my left on to the grass, it landed on my hand which was flying through the air next to me.  My first thought was "gross!", but after a few seconds I came to terms with it because it is, after all, my own saliva, and so what?

I persuaded Tim there would be plenty to photograph at the beach today, as big constant waves were forecast, which equals many surfers.  He got a few, but not many good ones.

While he went to the rocks at the end of the beach to try for a different angle, I sat and watched the waves with their surfers, all fully clad in wetsuits.  I was trying to build up confidence enough to brave the cold water.  In the end the waves were too inviting to resist, and I went in amongst all the surfers, one of whom looked very pissed off at discovering me sharing his wave, and gave me dirty looks while paddling away to another spot.  I was there first though.  Share the waves, dude!

Eventually I had to leave the heavy breakers and walk out with leaden feet which could have been anything, wooden boards maybe, they certainly didn't feel like feet anymore.  A very cold looking man in a big jacket came up to me and said admiringly that I must be really tough as he had been in for half an hour in a half-suit, and he was still trying to warm up, and didn't I know it was October?  So I showed him my big muscles and felt rather brave.

Tim took this as I was exiting the water looking rather cold and not terribly tough at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment