Saturday, October 23, 2010

Day 296

Molly this time last year, same yellow leaves, same open meadow, same crazy dog.

Thinking of a photograph for this blog, I was looking back at my photographs from the same date last year, and found a video of a playful Lily toying with a plastic bottle-top, batting it gently along the tiled kitchen floor, dear old cat. 

It was kind of a messy day today, one of those days where nothing goes according to plan.
Matthew wrote the ACTs this morning, which stands for American College Testing, a standardised test on English, Mathematics, Reading and Science, used for college applications.  I dropped him off there early because I needed the car and Nick had taken their car to Oak Grove to catch the Orange Line into Boston for his Saturday morning course at MassArt. Matthew was nearly run over as he was crossing at the pedestrian crossing!  Some kid focusing more on where the test was going to be held than on his driving, giving Matt a nice shot of adrenalin just before the test.

I was about a quarter of the way through my run when my phone rang.  Nick, whom I had to rescue for the 4th time this week!  I suppose I should be happy that I can still do this, this time next year he will be away at college somewhere, having to fend for himself.  But Good Grief!

When I returned I carried on running, and managed 2.9miles, which is 4.7 km.  Although I have no idea how long I took, because of the interruption. 

Went to pick up Matthew at 11, but he only came out at 1o'clock!  I had a lovely time though, sat in the warm sun, listened to the classical station and read my book.  And finally, finally, my beautiful big son came striding out, curly hair unruly like his dad's, looking happy and spent, after 5 hours of testing!

We were supposed to go out to dinner and a game of Pictionary, but Tim has been nursing a sore throat and we had to cancel.

And the day progressed in much the same vein! 

Funny, some days are like that, and you just have to let them play out in their disjointed way.  More is nog 'n dag, as they say in Afrikaans, and in English Tomorrow is another day, and I think it is the same in French, Demain est un autre jour.  So this kind of day is experienced on a regular bais all over the world, judging from the need for this old saying. 

So tonight a picture of the fireplace with the woodstove, making our home rather cosy.




No comments:

Post a Comment