Saturday, October 16, 2010

Day 289

Rhino outside the School of the Museum of Fine Arts.

I love this place.  I have done two courses here, been a student again, drawing and painting all day for one whole week, bliss! 

Today I walked past this rhino on my way to the Museum of Fine Art in Boston, after I had dropped off Nick at his Saturday studio course at the Massachusetts School of Art and Design, or MassArt.  To which he might very well go next year for college. 

I have another picture of my sister and I in front of this rhino on our excursion to the Isabella Steward Gardner Museum when she came here for a few days in 2009.   Me smiling like a crazy person, Bren looking rather dubious. 

The whole morning was wonderful, Nick and I drove in to the Orange Line train, then took it into town and changed for the green line to our destination.  We're good talkers, Nick and I.  Going to art school brings back so many memories for me, wonderful amazing time of your life that. 

While he did his course I went and roamed the MFA, especially an exhibition of Nicholas Nixon's photographs.  He was an only child and married a woman with three sisters, and then had two children with Bebe, his wife.  He focuses on family life, his children were born in 1983 and 1985, so they are grown now, and he has also therefore done several portraits of himself and Bebe alone or together.  But the amazing part of the exhibition is a wall of 36 pictures which he has done of the four sisters standing together, begun in 1975, always arranged in the same order, Heather, Mimi, Bebe, Laurie.   Throughout the years, you can see the shifting family relationships, and it would seem the Heather and Mimi are close, and Bebe and Laurie share a similar bond.  An amazing sociological and psychological group of portraits.  I stood there for a very long time, examining those images. 

And then I drew one of Maillol's women, a beautiful little bronze, I think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment