Saturday, October 30, 2010

Day 303

Clouds with river, river with clouds.

I changed up my run today, after waking up so late, happy to have my husband back in our bed.  So Molly and I ran the bottom circuit, which is a fairly hectic hill, (although Molly doesn't really do hills anymore) 6 times, which is 3.16km, and I ran it at 7 minutes 16 seconds per km.  It was hard going but shorter than my normal run.  Quite nice.  It is amazing that you can lie in bed and feel quite bereft of energy, wondering how you will possibly be able to get up and begin your day, and then you go for a run, and immediately your life is different, you have mountains of vigour and everything is beautiful, even the sight (and sound) of your sons arguing about something really silly.

I want to go to Yosemite, such beauty.  Tim has returned with image after image of enormous waterfalls, amazing sequoias, giant granite batholiths caused by subduction (when one tectonic plate is pushed under by another) and then further formed by glaciers.  The Ice Age glaciers ripped out some rocks and set them down further down the mountains, and polished other enormous rock-surfaces completely smooth.

In 1906, after years and years of campaigning by various people, especially John Muir, to get Yosemite protected as a national park, the bill was finally passed, mainly due to a camping trip Teddy Roosevelt went on with John Muir.

Tim and I went to a Halloween party at his camera club tonight.  The hall was decorated with graves and ghosts and spiderwebs, and everyone arrived dressed up, some very scarily.  A lovely dinner was served, and good-natured fun was had by all.  Tim was going to go as the old man in "Up" but didn't get his act together to get helium balloons, so instead went with the big glasses and the hat, and decided that the first person to come up with a good idea as to who he was, that would be his answer when asked again.  So someone said, "Professor Henry Higgins, isn't it?" and so he became!  I just went in my Frida Kahlo outfit again but only one person had ever heard of her.  I think most people thought I was a gypsy with a weird unibrow!

Trouble uploading again, so will try again tomorrow!







No comments:

Post a Comment