Thursday, October 14, 2010

Day 287

My newest god-daughter.

My oldest god-daughter is nearly 39!

This dear little girl was in my arms for the better part of my visit to her patient grandmother today, who is also looking after her very generous and sweet little big brother.  So today while I was there, I did the feeding, burping, and finally, the rocking her to sleep, singing the familiar song which sent all my babies to dreamland, Over the Sea to Skye.

Such a perfect little creature, such beautiful ears, such wonderful expressions, such lovely little roly-poly legs that it seems as though her mother must be producing cream!

The little boy is busy with toilet-training, which reminded me of my own children during that time.  Girls are so much better at this than boys, my two just decided they'd had enough of nappies and that was it.  This was at the tender age of two, Emma just before her birthday, Jess just after.  But the little boys had to be cajoled into an interest, and were a full six months later than the girls had been.

Entrance to the Land of Enchantment
Today I ran only 1.85km, for a variety of reasons, and because I had to leave early for the long drive to visit my friend.  It was beautiful, the meadow, with a low mist before the sun, and a little dollop of dew at the tip of each blade of grass, like the fat part of a needle.  My feet threaded them all through with the line of my running.

But at Refrigerator Corner the ground was so wet that it felt as though someone had thrown a bucket of ice water over my shoes, and my blue socks, which have never done this before, started sliding down under the soles of my feet, in that terribly annoying manner of some socks.  My lungs were not very happy today either, and I slopped on in the wet shoes, but at last my feet became so irritated with the socks that they just stopped running.  It was impossible to pull up the socks without taking off the shoes, because everything was so dripping wet, so I took my lungs' advice and decided to give up any attempt at a longer run.  Tomorrow.

The scene in front of me while watching a really bad movie with Tim tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment