Saturday, April 17, 2010

Day 107

Daffodils at the cold grey beach today. 

This morning both boys had to be in places in opposite directions by 9am, so Tim took one and I the other and then we met up at the B S cafe (its real name!) for a breakfast date. The full name is the Beach Street Cafe. 

We sat across the table from one another and told of our separate experiences over the past week apart, and as he spoke I noticed all the parts of his face that I love, and how they are changing with age.   His eyelids beginning to slouch over his green eyes, his beard turning to salt and pepper.  So stressful, this job of his.  But I am so glad to have him home again. The entire day I have understood the biblical phrase, "My cup runneth over".

I tried to phone Jess today but she was driving so she couldn't talk, and then we were going out, so when I put down the phone I had a little weep of self-pity, missing this daughter who is so far away.  I ache with longing.

I loved my first child with such a deep love that when I was pregnant with the second, I wondered how I would love her as much.  And then you just find you have this limitless supply!  You love them all fiercely, with your entire heart and all of your soul, utterly and completely.   You also have a different relationship with each one, because of how their individual characters interact with yours, because of your shared history, all the millions of moments you have experienced with them.

So my portrait tonight is of myself with four arms, like Lakshmi, the Hindu goddess, although I am holding my four children in these arms that are always wide open to them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment