Friday, April 23, 2010

Day 113

Nick in the car after our tour of the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD - pronounced Riz-Dee) today.

Such a beautiful day of puffy chiarascuro clouds and fair temperatures, on our journey south to Providence, in Rhode Island, the smallest state.  We toured RISD, with which Nick fell in love, but it is super expensive and also very difficult to be accepted there.  However, he is determined to try, so we shall hope and have faith in his abilities!

It was a day of floating along as a family, those exceptional days of happiness together, like fish swimming in a stream, sliding past one another every now and then, maintaining the same rhythm.

The school made me nostalgic for Rhodes University, even though I would never recommend that art school to anyone!  In fact, I detest Rhodes art school and all the lecturers therein!   We all fell whole-heartedly in love with this art school, except maybe Tim, it was a bit of arty-weird for his more conservative soul.

And even though I didn't run today, I marched up and down Providence's hills enough to count as good exercise.  As our student guide said, "You can't possibly get fat here because you are running up and down hills all day."  And stairs!

We met one of the film professors, who wore glasses over kind eyes.  He was interested in the boys and spoke with enthusiasm about the courses he teaches.  He is a documentary film-maker by trade, and is busy on a 25-year follow-up to his first documentary about the Hmong people fleeing Laos and coming the the U.S.  He has been all over the country tracking the people he interviewed such a long time ago.  An amazing project.

Yesterday I forgot to mention my run, which was 2.45 miles in 30 minutes.  My sky-blue running shoes are still wonderful, and I even wore them to be comfortable today while walking around Providence for 2 hours.

In the car I had to take them off though, my feet get claustrophobic in regular shoes now that I have reached the age of the affliction of hot flushes.  Well, not so many, but enough.  So I live in my boots which I can just kick off whenever one strikes, or slip-slops (flip-flops in America), for the same reason.  At night I have learned to stick my feet out of the covers until the hot flush subsides, and lately I can even do this without waking up!  Such a strange phenomenon, and no one knows what it is like if they haven't had one.  I remember as a teenager being quite impatient with my own mother, who complained about them a lot.  Now I understand, too late to be a compassionate teenager though.

Here is the last in the seasons series, winter, cold and bare.

No comments:

Post a Comment