Monday, April 5, 2010

Day 95

This beautiful sky when I came out of school this evening. 

The earth is bursting into blossom!  Magnolia trees sprout giant tulip-like plumes, red maples are putting forth anemone tendrils of flowers, the glory of yellow forsythia delights the eyes, and everywhere the green returns, little new leaves and stalks of grass burst forth in spring's prolific way.  (Matthew used to think that forsythia was "For Cynthia".)

And my adolescent students are caught up in this fine frenzy, even seventh graders laughing hysterically at silly sexually-toned jokes.  My 9th grade class decided today, as their group-project sculpture, to make a life-sized pregnant woman!  Three boys are sculpting the torso!  Four groups are doing the different parts, 4 people doing the legs, 4 doing the arms, 3 the torso, and 2 the head.  It will be a very interesting-looking sculpture at the end of the project! 

As for my two-hour afternoon class of 10th, 11th and 12th graders, they were a riot of hormones today, all sitting around one long table, setting one another off, laughing uproariously at times, full of the joys of spring!

So spring colours for my self-portrait tonight!  (And understand this: I am not immune myself.  For example, all my children were conceived in springtime.)

No comments:

Post a Comment