Sunday, November 7, 2010

Day 311

Clouds with tree.

A disgruntled day. 

Daylight saving decreed that we turn back the clocks one hour last night, and I find the whole day is a mess, everything feels wrong, and then it is dark at about 4!  Ridiculous.

And, I am SO tired of hot flashes, hot flushes, whatever they are called!  I am gatvol of them, in fact!  It think it is an insult to women that we have to go through all the things we do, all the really hard things, all through our reproductive lives, only to be rewarded at the end hot flushes! 

Having uncomfortable internal examinations from a young age, usually by male doctors, having to be the one mainly responsible for birth control, some methods having bad side effects, but having to put up with them.  Then all the poking and prodding you go through when you are pregnant, and the ungainly nature of the condition itself, at the end of which is the agonising labour, to bring the beloved child into the world.  And then we do this several times in our lives, and our bodies suffer for it, each time a little less able to recover, our skin a little more elastic. 

And then, the cherry on the top, we get to somewhere into our half-century, and have to endure the loss of our fecundity, and the additional torture of raging hot flushes for a good few years!  Hooray!  How bloody marvellous to be a woman! 

Generally I can look at life with a pinch of humour, but today the unfairness of hot flushes struck me like a battering ram.  No sooner have you put on your jersey because you are feeling a bit chilly, than you suddenly want to rip it off, as well as every other piece of clothing you are wearing!  They honestly should use menopausal women to power the grid!  I'm sure our house could be powered solely on my energy if I could somehow tap into my hot flushes each night!

And also today, I couldn't see my own son, for the last time, as it is his Senior year, at the Talent Show concert at their school, where he was singing in the a cappella group and later in their band, Batteryfoote, because we didn't get tickets in time.  I tried to sneak in at halftime but an officious woman was there who would not hear any of my reasonable proposals, and sent me away.  Nick said that there were a whole lot of empty seats, so that is also ridiculous, and so irritating.

And Tim is sick with flu, and so sat in front of the woodstove all day watching movies and football.  I never watch tv, because there is the biggest load of rubbish on, and the fact that programmes are divided into 3 minute segments with about 5 minutes of adverts after every 3 minutes!  Watching adverts (and most programmes) on tv makes me seriously worry about the state of our general intelligence and the future of the human race.  

I did run, one positive element to the day, after sleeping in after a late night, 5.6 km, at a rate of 7.38 minutes per km.  If I had to run the New York marathon, and could keep up that pace for the entire 43km, it would take me 5 and a half hours.  I cannot even imagine running for that long!   Haile Gebrselassie, the Ethiopian runner who retired today after dropping out in the 16th mile, holds the world record for the fastest marathon in Berlin in 2008, 2 hours, 3 minutes and 59 seconds, which is a pace of 4.43 minutes per mile, which is just unbelievable, when you think how long it took before someone ran the 4 minute mile, Roger Bannister in 1954, a year before I was born.

So this is a kind of hot flush image.  And hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.  Although sleet and snowflakes are predicted!

No comments:

Post a Comment