Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Day 313

Sunset on the marsh.

A damp dark day today, spent mostly at school, in my warm and colourful artroom.

My upper school students are supposed to come for three hours a week, one hour on Tuesday afternoon and two on Friday afternoon.  Both times they finish at 5.30, which is not the best, but the people responsible for the timetable can always only fit the art in after regular school hours.  This is due to the small size of the upper school, so the art students from the different classes are all put together in the afternoons, with a grand total of seven kids.

So some of them devised a plan whereby they would come when they had a free period, which was 2.30 on a Tuesday, while I have another 7th grade class, and they can sit at a spare table and do their work quietly, then they stay for the next hour, which is supposed to be my free hour, and then they only have to come for one hour on Fridays, so it would mean that they can then go home at 4.30 each day.

And in the beginning, I agreed with a plan that two 11th graders arranged with the lower school art teacher to come in during their free period on a Thursday, and then they would just touch base with me on Friday at lunchtime to show me what they had done, then they would be able to go home at the regular home-time of 3.30 on a Friday.  (I am only at school on Tuesdays and Fridays).

But what actually happens, is that they have all become such good friends, such a cohesive group, that three of them duly arrive at 2.30 on a Tuesday, and then at 3.30 three more enter excitedly, and then the last one at 4.30, and they all make art and have really interesting conversations in French and English, and we all take turns to play music from the computer, until 5.30, when I tell them to pack up and go home.!  And the same thing happens on Friday, some arrive at 2.30, the rest at 3.30 and they all leave at 5.30! Wonderful!

Too much to do tonight, so an old photographic portrait, taken in the summer, the day before my 50th birthday, with my beloved older daughter, on the ferry to my adopted city, when my mother and father were both still alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment