Saturday, November 20, 2010

Day 324

The red surfboard.

We staggered out of bed at some unearthly hour for a Saturday morning, to attend a Rotary Breakfast at the boys' school, in honour of a number of students in leadership positions, amongst them both our sons!  Although who knows where the certificates are, because the proud father, who was in charge of them, left them on a table somewhere, didn't he?

And there is an article about their artistic talents in the school newspaper, and another in the school's online website.  Which does rather warm the cockles of one's heart.  My twins, who are so unalike in every way, even down to their blood type, the one  being A+, the other O+.  My darling boys.

The breakfast was not my usual fare.  I am unaccustomed to eating American pancakes, little ugly sausages and coffee.  So later in the morning, when Molly and I were doing our stretching exercises before our run, I felt awful, headachy and weak,  as though I would never be able to manage, until I pulled myself together and set off on a lovely 5.10 km run (at 7.15 minutes per km) which became smoother and smoother as the kms went by. 

I was running happily along, with my triple-layer mind going nineteen to the dozen, counting breaths and singing at a different tempo, and thinking thoughts.  Shimmying through the pin-oak leaves on Heartbreak Hill, thinking that Rustle of Spring, my grandpa Pop's favourite piece of music, should actually be called Rustle of Autumn,  hypothesizing that maybe I have become part of the meadow and this is why those teenagers the other day couldn't see me, I was invisible Meadow-maiden, a new type of superhero!  And of course, that is why the deer didn't notice me until I was right on top of them, just about!

When suddenly, trip, plop, and I am lying on my face at refrigerator corner!  A small stick has caused me to fall, one of those nasty ones, that tricks one of your legs, then hits the other one to an unexpected sprawling position. And as I check all the appendages for breaks, and slowly find none, I ease myself up on my two pins once more, thinking that the meadow has actually just tripped me, that I am nothing but a silly old sentimental twit, with grass stains on her knees and scraped palms.

Stayed up to watch Toy Story 3 with Nick and Tim, very sweet film, made me cry, how ridiculous is that?

Tonight an old photograph of me and my dad in a boat.


1 comment:

  1. Tony and I also watched toy story three on this day! How weird is that? And we BOTH cried! It's such and awesome sweet film! Love you mom! Sorry the meadow tripped you...at least there waasn't a hissing cockroach in your shoe!

    ReplyDelete