Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Day 320

Wave with dog.







Old Man on the Beach.

Sweet tall 11-year-old English Mastiff cross on the beach yesterday.  At the moment I prefer animals.

Stopped at a traffic light tonight on the way home from school, one of those interminable rush-hour lights, I glanced in on an Indian family that I enjoy watching whenever I am stuck at that traffic light.  They are always doing something interesting, and it is that wonderful extended family of grandparents, aunts and uncles, mother and father and two children, a girl and a boy, about six and eight years old.

Tonight the little boy was sitting on the top of the couch hanging on to two curtains and swinging this way and that as he sat watching a huge tv screen.  The mother came outside to fetch something from the garage, and as she re-entered the house I watched intently to see her reaction to the curtain abuse.  Sure enough, although I couldn't see her, he slowly released one curtain and then the other, and as I drove off he was climbing sorrowfully down from the top of the couch.

Drew this at a meeting this afternoon, a common doodle of mine, circles and loops.  There was an official who used to conduct meetings when I worked for the Dept of Education and Training, which was the department which ran "Bantu Education", which was different from the other departments of education in South Africa, in that it set out to allow less knowledge, to use inferior books in a useless curriculum, to neglect its teachers so that they were never developed as they needed to be.  One of the "grand plans" of history, a part of the constant subjugation of one group by another, which seems to always be happening somewhere or other in the world.  The official came up after the meeting, looked down at my page full of doodles and told me disdainfully to carry on drawing my "little feminine scribbles", as though feminine was a terribly dirty word.




No comments:

Post a Comment