Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 193

Happy 18th Birthday car!

So there was once this crook called Leo, 6ft 3in, 300 lb, scary-looking dude!  He sold a nice-looking car (on the outside) which was not actually such a nice car once you looked at everything else to do with the engine, the frame, etc., to the unsuspecting and rather naive Bouwer couple.  Even though they are both in their fifties now, they can still be somewhat gullible, believing in the best of people, only to be disappointed, time and again.

So they return this lemon of a car, do all the fancy paperwork and eventually, they get their money back!  Yay!

So, she looks again on Craigslist, and after a few miss-steps, she finds this amazing ad, which is basically an essay detailing all the pros and cons of the owner's car, almost akin to a praise-poem!  And, he is willing to bring it all the way up to their town, to be seen by the old town mechanic. 

He turns out to be a short Bulgarian man, the angel to Leo's devil.  He has taken good care of the car, and is even willing to go down in price.  She is so happy and relieved, that she wants to feed this man delectable tea with scones and jam and cream, but instead they take him home to complete the paperwork and give him coffee and delicious cold watermelon.   He restores their faith in humankind.

And the boys, the boys are overjoyed, ecstatic, leaping about like puppies, big smiles, grateful hugs and kisses. 

Maybe you always have to go through some kind of trial by fire.  To appreciate the good.

Walked the meadow today, I have had a sore leg and am giving it a rest.  Tomorrow I will run again.

And the story is having a rest too.  In Campagny will return after my daughters have left, at the end of the first week of August.  In the mean time I will anticipate their arrival with great happiness, then make the memories while they are here, then live on those memories until the next time.  Which is what my mother taught me.  You see, you really do turn into your mother.

A drawing of a black-eyed susan plant.  In South Africa,  the black-eyed susan is a beautiful creeper, with little orange flowers with the darkest blackest centres, so dark that you can't see the bottom.  Which is what eyes are like really, you can't see the bottom, you can't see into a person's very soul, there is always something hidden, something not open to you, no matter how well you know and love them. 


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad it all worked it. Looks like the adopted son (Matt Peaver) is getting in on the action too. You'll have to post a picture of a South African black eyed susan if you have one. My Dad and I have always loved that flower.

    I told Tim that he and I were watching Invicitus the other day. So werid, how my Dad and I think alike. I bought the movie mainly because I love everything Morgan Freeman does. A few days later when vising my parents I saw the same movie at their house. My Dad had bought it a few days earlier too. I can only imagine what the times were like then for you guys.

    Well, I hope you have a great visit with your girls! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete