Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 202

Flying Thistle seeds, so delicate, so perfect, beautiful.

That is very hard to say actually, say it out loud as fast as you can, "Flying Thistle Seeds"!  It is a real tongue-twister, particularly for me, as for some reason I emphasize the 'th' sound, sticking out my tongue more than most people do.  One man I met a long time ago told his wife that for the longest time he thought I had a speech impediment! 

My friend Penelope, who is a speech therapist, theorised that for some reason it was an important sound for me when I was little and that is how I acquired the pronounced "tongue-sticking-out" habit.  I never even knew that I did it until I was an adult and people pointed it out.  Tim and the boys laugh at me a lot every now and then, for example when I say "Three-thirty" when asked the time.  They are mocking me but it is not nasty.  I always feel a bit stupid though, because I saw myself being interviewed on tv when I was about 38, and it is so strange to see yourself on film, my hands waving about in the air, gesticulating left, right, up, down and centre while I talk, and then this stupid tongue reaching out to pronounce 'th' where no one else's tongue thinks of going! 

I have been working all day (well, when I have not been ferrying boys, whose road-test is next Thursday), getting ready for the girls to come.  Such anticipation!  So much work, cleaning and making beds and washing and whatnot!  And all I want to do is read my book!  But I have just managed brief reading interludes, while waiting for the water to boil for the pasta this evening, and while I was eating my lunch outside under the umbrella with the black dog for company.  We are all completely hooked on books at the moment, except for Nick, who is about to start Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy, who is the darkest writer I know!

So, tonight, some more eyes, the gentlest eyes of Molls, the black dog, the nearly 10 year old faithful one, with clouding eyes, strong heart, and an epileptic brain which attacks itself every few weeks.

I didn't run today, just didn't have a chance.  Well, while I was reading I might have had a chance, but then I wouldn't have known what happened next, now would I?

No comments:

Post a Comment