Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day 209

Jewel-weed.

After not eating or drinking anything all day yesterday, and behaving in a way which seemed to signify that she had given up on life and was imminently due to leave us, and us all saying our tearful goodbyes to her last night, we woke up to find Lily the old cat still alive. 

It was very early and she wanted to go outside so I let her out and sat with her each time she settled somewhere, stroking her and talking to her (even though she is stone-deaf) and every now and then weeping for her little life which has been lived in that pure way animals have. 

She seemed to be looking around for water in the pot-plant holders and so I poured some water for her and, very carefully, she drank!  Then I tried her on some of her food and she ate a tiny bit too!   Eventually everyone else woke up and began coming out in dribs and drabs, amazed at the miraculous little cat.

And so we have been monitoring her all through the day, giving her treats like tuna and raw chicken, and water laced with the water that canned tuna is stored in.  And tonight she seems better, still very weak and odd-looking, but almost herself.  I know she still may be on her way out, but she had a good day today, with everyone loving her and stroking her and taking care not to stand on her where she lay, always right in the way!  Such a dear little cat.

The new couch we were given is very popular.  Here are two instances of it being put to good use.

Tomorrow I will run again, my poison ivy is quite a lot better, and I hope it will not chafe when I run.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment