Friday, July 30, 2010

Day 211

Jess and I from the back.

Another lovely day.

Tim took everyone to a real American diner for lunch.  I was not so keen,  but the waitress was a lovely middle-aged woman with a gravelly voice, and the ambience is unsurpassed in this place. 

The cheerful waitress addressed us as "Tourists", which brought home how un-American we really are! 

We laughed and ate delicious food, told stories and jokes and sat in our familiar family togetherness. 

Later we meandered around Rockport, a beautiful little place where Tim and I are going to live when the boys have gone to college and the housing  market picks up again. 

I took my dad (and my brother) there a few years ago and he loved it, cheerfully trying each new taste my brother put in front of him  (he had never had sushi before!). 

I remember when I took him on a river cruise and each passenger was given a postcard of the boat.  He was overjoyed, and decided that he would send his postcard to his sister Margaret to tell her all about his trip.  I said that I thought that would be a very good idea, because what was the point of telling him that his sister had been dead a good few years already, and that in fact there was no one left in his immediate family, no parents, no siblings, no wife.  I knew he would forget all about the card in about 10 minutes, anyway.

And then in the evening we went to watch Nick's play, The Music Man, which was lovely, not as good as last year, but then I am biased because my two boys were the main characters in the last play, My Fair Lady.   All the children are so good by the end of the 4 week rehearsal period, they are truly impressive.  The director is excellent!  She's been directing these plays since the 1970's, apparently.

And no, I did not get to run today either. 
And yes, Lily is so much better.  Eating four times a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment