Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 201

Humming-Bee Feeder

For some reason, the water in the ant-moat of the humming-bird feeder has become irresistable to my bees.  Even though there is no sugar in that, and they can't get to the sugar-water in the actual feeder.  It is a mystery.  And every day at least one commits suicide there by drowning.  I am constantly fishing out little dead bee-bodies.

The humming-birds don't seem to mind the bees at all, and the bees tend to ignore them.  I suppose they are used to sharing flowers. 

I ran 3.2 km today, in about 21 minutes, which is 7 minutes per km, which is not bad, really.  But where yesterday all my muscles and tendons and bones and toes and elbows and lungs all worked together in symphonic harmony, today was a struggle.  Why is this the case?  Another mystery for my day.

Sometimes I find myself struggling to puzzle out what someone has said to me, even though we are speaking the same language, English.  Yesterday I was completely non-plussed by a message about Nick's costume for the play, which included two pairs of "leather tie shoes".  My mind saw a tie as the thing men tie around their necks when they want to dress up.  Then I thought it must mean lace-up shoes.  Which apparently it does, but why not say lace-up shoes?  Even my American friend didn't know what a "tie shoe" was!  And because I am a foreigner here I always think that I need to find out what this or that expression means, it is up to me, it is somehow my obligation to do the most understanding.

Tonight I have a picture of my eye.  Almost a smile.  The colour in a face.  Like a shard of sea-glass, blue-green.  And the old crows have walked all around it, laughing their heads off.

No comments:

Post a Comment