Friday, February 5, 2010

Day 36


31F (-0.5C) A beautiful blue sky with small white scudding clouds today.  My legs were still aching a bit, so I gave them a little break, and only ran up and down Heartbreak Hill twice, then walked all through the icy meadows with the long-legged black dog.  There were some tracks in the shaded spots where the thin dusting of snow remained, but it was hard to see many.  I am looking for bobcat tracks, I would love to know if there are bobcats around here.  They were exterminated in Massachusetts in the 1800's but made a slow comeback when farmers left farms and the land reverted to forest. Apparently they are very shy, elusive creatures, about twice the size of a domestic cat, although that's probably 3 times our Lily, who is a very petite and very old cat.  
These are my lovely winter boots that my friend Markie got for me, warming up in front of the woodstove, waiting for when I have to fetch the boys in a little while.  They are made of real Australian sheepskin and wool, so that you don't have to wear socks, just slip your feet into the warm depths and you're all set, as they say in New England.   I live in them in the winter, whenever my feet are cold.  They are perfect for someone who hates wearing shoes at all!
Yes, I feel a little guilty for wearing real leather, after complaining about hunters, but the pseudo stuff makes your feet smell abominably, and I will get every last scrap of wear out of them. 
The meat or chicken that we eat two or three times a week is always bought at Whole Foods Market, so it is guaranteed that the animal it came from led a good life, walking and grazing (or, in the case of chickens, pecking about) in green fields, with sunshine and rain.


  

2 comments:

  1. Nice boots, I'm not much of a shoe person myself, which is ood consider the number of pairs I have. These do look toasty and I sure could use them down here in DC. I'm not sure how much snow we've had so far, but I'm guessin around 10 inches so for and it's still snow.

    Today I am missing living in South Florida.

    Great dedication for running in the cold and snow - keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lea! I heard there might be up to 30 inches of snow in store for you! Good grief! Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete