Monday, February 15, 2010

Day 46

I have decided to add something kind each day to my resolutions as well.  We are not compassionate enough in our lives, I think, and little kindnesses can change someone's day.  I believe that compassion should be taught in schools, as a subject, like mathematics, or french.  The world would be a better place with more empathy. 

I will only write about it occasionally, because that is blowing your own trumpet and kind of negates the generosity, but I am going to try to do at least one kind and gracious act every day.

I roamed 'my' territory (3 meadows and some woods) before I ran today.  Then ran perhaps a little further than yesterday although I  forgot my pedometer so don't know exactly how far, but probably 3.6 km.  I think I pulled something though, because for a couple of hours I had a stiff time getting up and limped along like my dad once I was up.  But, after helping Tim get sand to fill up the barrels all the way along our steep driveway for the anticipated snowstorm tomorrow, the pain suddenly slipped out of my body, everything worked properly again.

The portrait was not done today, but borrowed from a quilt I made for my parents' 55th anniversary, which was on 7th March 1997.  They were married for almost 64 years, as my mother died in January 2006.  They had 3 children, and under the applique portraits of my mum and dad, I embroidered a portrait of each family, a sort of upside-down family tree.  The boys were little then, Emma and Jess teenagers in the background, and Tim looking as though he is going bald!  The wall-hanging hung proudly in their little house in Cape Town until my dad died, when I brought it here to my house in Massachusetts.


4 comments:

  1. Oh Anne, this couldn't have come at a more proper time. I couldn't agree more about the need for more empathy and compassion for others in our world and may I add esp. in the work force.

    55 years is great! My parents just celebrated their 40th and we had a nice party for them. We took them out to a dinner theatre and they were like two little kids on a date. Quite cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful, Lea, I am always happy to hear of marriages lasting a long time! My parents were actually married 64 years altogether before my mum died, and then my dad kind of fell apart and died 19 months later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 64 years is amazing and inspiring. My Dad doesn't do well if my Mom is gone for the weekend. If my Mom is away, I will go and stay with him as he is losing his eyesight and walks with a cane. He has not been able to drive for years and w/o my Mom he is lost. It's kind of sweet actually to see how much they mean to each other and it sounds like your parents were the same way.

    I guess they were good role models for putting up with Tim for 25 years. Us girls on Flikr enjoy giving him hard time. We've nickednamed you Saint Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha, that is funny! Well, Tim is a good sport and still the nicest man I have ever met.

    ReplyDelete