Monday, February 8, 2010

Day 39

It reached 31F today, just below freezing, the sun felt lovely on my face when I took Molly to the meadow before school. 

What a tiring day, the 8th graders were quite dilly today for some reason, they were almost bouncing off the walls in their exuberance!  My 6th and 7th grade students are better behaved than these classes!  I really enjoy their energy and they are quite productive, but quite a handful some days.  I am exhausted tonight after leaving home at 9am this morning, and only arriving home at 9.30pm from an ECBA Board of Directors' (beekeepers association).

These cairns have been lovingly made on a vague wall of rocks which forms a barrier between the sea and the road.  I love such intimations of creativity, they are always pleasantly surprising and unexpected.  Cairns are found all over the world, in many different cultures, often added to by other people, especially on mountains.  They signify respect for something, sometimes the dead, sometimes they signify a pathway, or the tallest point.  The German and Dutch words for cairn literally mean 'stone man', so my self-portrait today is as a cairn, although it looks a bit like Mrs Potato-lady.. 

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen carins before. They do look interesting.

    ReplyDelete