Monday, February 22, 2010

Day 53

Morning shadows - the way through the woods.  Lovely day today, and we all had to go to school and work, how come Mondays are often so beautiful?

I did the Fundred Project http://www.fundred.org/ with my classes, some were completely into the social activism, performance art side of the story and did beautiful $100 bills, but my difficult 8th graders were noisy and uncooperative and I was quite pissed off with them today.  I actually gave up on their clamour and went to sit down at my computer with my back to them, read an entire Mail & Guardian op ed piece plus all the comments, while they sat in shocked silence waiting for me to come to my senses.  Eventually I heard the entire class say, in unison, "We're sorry, Madame Bouwer!", which brought a smile to my heart, although my lips did not outwardly show one.   Later I saw a piece of paper lying on one of the tables, on which the most responsible girl had written, 'All together, say "We're sorry, Mme Bouwer!"'

Self-portrait with alphabet heart - collage/drawing.   I suppose it says something about what these things mean to me: Art, Reading, Education and north america.

No comments:

Post a Comment