Friday, February 12, 2010

Day 43

My gorgeous boys and girls last summer.  I wish we were all together tonight. 

I couldn't run today because it was parent-teacher conference day at school, so I had to leave home early as my first parent arrived at 8.05am.  It is really a pleasant day though because most of the parents who come are the ones who love art and whose children love art, so it is rather an ego-stroking fest, with the parents saying nice things about me and me saying nice things about their children.  I felt so sad for one parent whose daughter I have taught for 5 years. She is Haitian and lost her brother in the earthquake, exactly a month ago.  She said it took only 42 seconds for the quake to destroy more than 200 000 people.  It is virtually incomprehensible.

I drew a self-portrait like this when the boys were very little, it was on a day when everyone had been very needy and I felt overwhelmed!  Holding a boy in each arm, Jess standing on my feet, and Emma sitting on my head!  And now they are all grown-up!  And I am grown older, and we don't live in 16 Cross Street anymore.                                                        A little boy came into the art room when I was sitting there alone after lunch.  He didn't see me as he looked around and said aloud, "Cool!".  So I rolled backwards on my wheeled office chair and said "Hello".  He smiled at me so I asked him his name.  He peered at me carefully and then ran over to me and gave me a big hug!  He said, "My name is William and I'm 5 years old."  Funny how little children always show the number of fingers they are, but not really after they are 5.    I asked him if he wanted to draw and he loved my huge box of markers, 100 different colours!  He drew there quietly for a while until his mother, the school receptionist, came to find him.  
Such a dear little boy who warmed my heart, such an open and innocent soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment