Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Day 61

Such a long day - Tuesdays! 

The sun came out today.  Which was blissful.

I was talking to some 8th grade girls who have been making their model of Tower Bridge in my artroom in the afternoons.  One had a birthday last Sunday and told me she was now 13!  They are on the brink, no longer little girls, but still, so young.  I said, "Oh, you are still babies!"  which didn't go down very well, as you think you have finally made it, at 13!  They protested, "But we're not!"  and I added, "Yes, I know, but when you look at 13 compared to my age you are."  One commented, "Well, you're not old!  When you're 105 you're old!"  which was sweet, although some days I feel 105.  Plus she had to find a really large number in case it was still close to my actual age!

The three girls flirt consciously and unconsciously with the older boys who are there in the afternoons for their classes,  it is funny to watch them, quite open and unaffected, learning their way in the world.

This was a self-portrait that I did as part of a collage for a Lifeline course that I attended in Grahamstown when I was about 32.  We had to produce one for our 'homework' to tell people about ourselves.  I loved this project, and mine ended up being about 3ft by 3ft, this huge collage of drawings and poems and pictures, it was my whole life on a page.   Everyone else had these regular A4 images, and most of the other students looked at me with a little suspicion, as did the facilitator.


No comments:

Post a Comment