Saturday, March 6, 2010

Day 65 (only 300 more to go)

Boy in a tree

Molly and I ran just under 2km today, on an EXQUISITE day which looked like Spring and felt warm, although there are no signs of buds opening yet, except inside, where my little fig tree is sprouting forth beautifully, its inner circadian rhythms still strong, even though it spends winter inside an artificially heated house.  And the prolific chipmunk Vincenza, who lives in a lovely chipmunk house under the rock next to our deck (or by now perhaps it is inhabited by one of her many offspring), came out of hibernation a couple of days ago and is busily stuffing her cheeks with new supplies. 

Why I should not be a cook
I decided to make crunchies (a type of South African oatmeal cookie) for our friends the Hollenbachs who came to celebrate our 9 years in America (they arrived from SA about a month before we did).  I didn't have enough sugar to start with, so made do with about half that which was required.  When putting the baking soda into the pot of butter and syrup, a whole pile fell in by mistake!  Then, when I was opening the oven to take them out, the entire oven handle plopped off on to the floor, Ping!  When I eventually got the oven open, as I was taking the baking trays out, the oven glove touched the element and caught fire!  I ran the tap over the glove but it smelt bad so I put it outside on the railing, while I finished off cutting the crunchies and generally tidying up the kitchen.  Looking idly over at the door I noticed smoke pouring out of something, and upon further investigation found the glove on fire!  Fanned by the wind, a tiny spark deep within the folds of the thick oven glove must have glowed hot until it burst into flame and nearly started eating up the fencepost too!

So my self-portrait today is what I really should be: a surfer!

No comments:

Post a Comment