Monday, March 8, 2010

Day 67

Another glorious morning, the third day I have not worn long underwear!  Such a pity that we all had to go to school and work!  Molly bounded happily about in the meadow before school, I longed to run, it was so lovely, but no time! 

Sometimes being kind to people can backfire.  Yesterday in the supermarket there was a little old man in front of me in the line at the cashier.  He was about the same height as I am, (which is quite short) and was struggling to get everything out of his trolley/carriage.  I noticed he had a big sack of potatoes in the very bottom, so, doing my good deed for the day, I bent down and picked it up and put it on the rolling counter-thing (grocery travellator?) with his other groceries.  He looked around at me surprised,  became all flustered, said “Thank you”, turned back to his things, and then turned around to ask me if I had anything heavy that he could help me with.  Shame, I felt so sad that I had perhaps made him feel small and inadequate, that  I had emasculated him.

I thought of my dad when he was old, and how even though he couldn't find his bedroom in my house, he still firmly believed in his own strength, that he would easily be able to help me cut down a 60ft tree, at the age of 87!

My portrait is therefore pensive tonight, thinking how age becomes so debilitating, how you lose your wonderful muscles and sure-footedness, how spottiness flecks your once-proud skin, how clouds flit in between the thoughts and memories in your head.

No comments:

Post a Comment