Friday, March 19, 2010

Day 78

Lines in Boston yesterday.

Yesterday's run: I forgot to write about the running yesterday, which I did do, 2.2 miles, it was really hot, and I found a tick crawling up my shoe when I got home!  So the ticks are out already.  What an early Spring.

I went to school today for a couple of meetings and then had such a headache that I came home at lunchtime, so I was able to go to the airport this afternoon with Stephen, which was very sad.  Me, weeping: "But why do we have to live so far away from our friends?"  Tim: "Our country did this to us, if it wasn't like it is, we wouldn't all have moved, we would still be living at opposite ends of Cross Street."  We truly are, both literally and metaphorically, the "Scatterlings of Africa" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmnLS3ILntA

Driving home from the airport, I was gazing out of the window and my memory was triggered by the shopfronts of a strip-mall where we took the boys to Toys-R-Us when we were first in Winthrop, and I remembered how very lost we were, a small scrap of South Africa dropped into the huge muddy puddle of the USA, our family a little self-contained entity. We knew no one except Dave and Karen who lived 76 miles away!  Everything was difficult, everything had to be learned, so different from how comfortably you belong in your own country, even with all the hills and vales of our past history.  How brave we were, how quite foolish.

I went for a run this evening.  I thought it would make me feel better.  It was quite easy, because my mind was racing around the last few days with Stephen, all the wonderful conversations, passionate discussions, and some awful things he had told us about the Congo, such shocking evil in the world.  I barely noticed the two miles pulling away from my feet, didn't even have to count my breathing.

So I come back uncomprehending and desolate, to this wise man who loves me and takes me into his arms and hands me hope like a bright flower in the dark forest.



No comments:

Post a Comment