Thursday, March 11, 2010

Day 70

Morning frost.

44F and I ran 3.1km today, which is just about 2 miles.  The birds were all out this morning, singing, eating, courting, dozens of robins, blue jays, sparrows, and more!  As I came into the meadow the third time, I noticed everything had gone quiet, and there hanging in the sky was a large red-tailed hawk.  The only bird still whistling away was a randy little northern cardinal, completely oblivious to the threat!

Quite a few of my daughters' friends have children already, two of the children are already 8 and 9 years old!  I can't believe these girls are mothers!  I used to film them in their plays, watch them swimming in the pool, put band-aids on their real and imagined wounds, comfort them when they were scared or having a fight, or later when they had broken up with a boyfriend.  I would ferry them all about in our roomy Kombi (VW bus) which could be filled to the brim with teenagers and little kids, all singing at the tops of their voices!  Now they are women, juggling work and motherhood, cooking for their families,  running in the moms' race at sports day, worrying that their kid won't make friends, hoping that they will be successful and happy in their lives.  And the magic of  Facebook allows me to see these darling little things growing up, from bewildered babies to smiling school-children decked out in their new clothes with their backpacks proudly slung over their shoulders.  Funnily enough, these young women have produced many more girls than boys. 

So here is my baby.  He was born 1 minute after his brother, so he is, technically, my youngest child.  













No comments:

Post a Comment