Saturday, March 27, 2010

Day 86

Angelina Ballerina!  12 weeks old!

This is a picture Tim took of her smiling at me, standing straight up on her feet in that practicing way small babies do, long before they can possibly hold up their top-heavy bodies on those little frog legs.  Such a dear little thing, completely alert and sociable, interacting with each person who holds her, telling them her stories, vocalising in the universal bird-like language of babies.

Molly and I ran 2.36 miles (3.79km) today, again in freezing weather, 27F (-2C), although it looked beautiful with a bright sun shining, and in the meadow it was quite warm.  But I actually prefer running in the cold, because I get so hot, always ending up just in a vest and sweatpants, my arms bright red from the cold, but feeling strong and warm inside. 

I have been noticing people's eyebrows, and how different everyone's are, like little Angelina's, so perfect and just a thin layer of hairs over the arch of the brow.  And my dad's, big and bushy and curly by the time he was an old man.  Some are plucked out of all recognition, some are archways, others straight as a caterpillar.  Apparently your eyebrows never stop growing, fueled by hormones or the lack thereof, and nor do your ears and your nose, something to do with cartilage growing or losing its elasticity.

But back to eyebrows.  Standing in the shower this morning I marvelled at how my eyebrows protected my eyes from the water at most angles.  Which is one of the main reasons we have them apparently, so that we can plod through the rain.

Also, we have sebaceous glands just beneath our eyebrows and this means that our scent is continually being broadcast via our eyebrows!  So that when a strange dog tries to lick your face in greeting, he is actually trying to sniff and lick your eyebrows!

Looking up images of eyebrows on the internet, I found this girl with plucked eyebrows and drawn-on cats!  Well, I hope they are drawn-on, and not tattoos!  


No comments:

Post a Comment