Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 13

3.36km (2.08miles), 18F (-7C) Sunny

It is amazing how warm you get running.  I shed clothing as I go, coat, hat, scarf, gloves, hoodie, always on the same tree, so that is where I will end my run.  Today I looked up during my final sprint up Heartbreak Hill and all my clothes were standing at the finish line cheering me on!

The boys swam in a meet tonight and did very well, and then, exhausted, they still had to learn for a French mid-term tomorrow!  They were asking me the meanings of vocabulary words that they had, and half of them I didn't know, although when put into the context of a sentence I could usually figure them out. 

Our second and third (and any other extra) languages are stored in a separate part of our brains from our mother tongue, and sometimes they get confused in that part of my head, so the only word I can think of for 'often' for example, is 'dikwels' and the french word 'souvent' will elude me for a while, and vice versa.  When I am alone in the car I sometimes sing loud verses of hymns and then try to sing them translated into Afrikaans and French too.


Trying to observe and set in only the lighter parts with a white pencil-crayon, sort of the opposite of usual drawing, in this image.  I think I always make the eyes too big, but perhaps that is just how my images look.

No comments:

Post a Comment