Thursday, January 14, 2010

Day 14

Positively balmy today! 33F (0.5C) Ran 3.2km (struggled)
I wondered about all those poor people in Haiti, such chaos and devastation.  And I thought about how awful it would be if an earthquake hit us, and I was at school in Cambridge, Tim at his work in Danvers, the boys at school in Manchester, Emma in London and Jess in South Africa!  My mother hen mentality wishes they could all be near my sheltering wings. 

On the radio today I heard of an amazing organisation called Telecommunications without Borders, like Médecins Sans Frontières.  They send small teams of people to go into disaster-hit areas and set up communications, which is the most important thing in any rescue effort.  They said that invariably, the very first thing rescued people will ask for, even before food, is a phone call!

Coming home from taking Nick to school I had to pull off the road on seeing this tree, glowing in the morning sun.  I was walking back along the icy side of the road in order to take a photograph when a woman going the other way kindly stopped and asked me if I needed a ride.


I had a very contemplative day and this charcoal drawing reflects that.  I immediately felt better once the boys were home, they always make me happy, make me laugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment