Friday, January 22, 2010

Day 22


35F , although that was only for a minute at noon, I think. The rest of the day was definitely below freezing. Bitter.  I ran about 3km, I think, but I had forgotten my pedometer, so don't know for sure.

Feeling a bit blue today, with the general state of the world: Daughters living in other countries, being an orphan, Scott Brown, the Supreme Court decision, Haiti, too many balled-up socks that I have to unfurl before they go in the wash, and the cold weather with barely a scrap of sunshine!

This is on the causeway in Essex, always beautiful, this little scene. 


The other night I had to pick up something at Home Depot, and as I was getting into my car some Canada Geese flew swiftly over, not too far above my head, in the newly dark sky, honking softly to one another, "lover by lover" as Yeats decribed the wild swans.  I imagined two of them as my parents, kindly encouraging one another. My dad: "How are you doing, dear?" My mother: "I'm fine, it's just cold, and really dark, and I'm a little scared..."  "Don't worry, dear, we're nearly there, just stick by me and we'll be there by and by."  And off they flew, into the distant darkness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment